Tuesday, May 8, 2007

No Shouts, No Calls

Ok so clearly I have so far failed at getting my cohorts to start posting. Matt (aka SpinMaster) has been freaking out about the new Arctic Monkeys so with any luck I can get him to put some of his excitement into a blog post form. Heres hoping.

I on the other hand am flipping out about the new Electrelane album "No Shouts, No Calls" Which finally hit American shores today. So, admitedly, I'm a little late to the party on this one. I mean sure I got this album early but it is, in truth, my first Electrelane album. That being said I cannot currently speak to this album's place in their discography and history or growth as a band. I will say that after hearing this album all I want is more more more. So naturally a rapid devouring of their previous releases is soon to come.

I have become totally enthralled with "No Shouts No Calls". Its songs span a broad range of styles and topics yet they all sound part of a larger whole. They fit. There's a lot of play with melody and tempo, especially in the instrumental tracks. Songs will start out fast, suddenly get slower and then gradually speed back up. It's not that electrelane is seeking to break standard music theory rules, more that they are seeking to experiment with the limits of a pop song. See what it can bear. The songs are also amazingly dynamic in their tone, and almost all can be interperated as either melencholy or hopeful, depending on their mood of the listener. I tend not to read other peoples reviews of albums so I don't really know if what I'm saying is the general consensus or not, and really I don't care, because this album to me speaks of lovers being seperated, of the places in-between motion and stillness, migration and home. Add to that skillful musicianship and wonderfully haunting and ethereal voices and you have yourself a damn good record. At least I think so.

For more Electrelane info checkout their website. And if you want to see them live they are playing next tuesday, the 15th, with The Blow and hopefully Tender Forever.

No comments: