Thursday, May 10, 2007

Favorite Things: Tender Forever

Once upon a time WSVA had a zine. It was a paper zine, yknow... old skool. It was called Static. Xzyqunity basically is Static only with a cooler, more original name that has nothing to do with WNYU and is, of course, on the web. At any rate Static, it was recently discovered, used to have a feature called "Favorite Things" which was basically a short list of questions, "the kind of list that would be fun to read but not take up too much of their busy rockin' lives or scare them off." We've decided this was a brilliant idea and have begun to send out bands a slightly updated version of the original questionnaire. I'll be posting the reply's as I get them and possibly adding a few of the old ones cuz they can be really interesting.

So I'm really excited, cuz the very first response is from Tender Forever! (whom I have previously ranted and raved about)
Heres what she had to say....

Band: I LOVE CODY CHESNUTT!!!

Book: i started recently to read Middle Sex. I kind of want to say that it is my favorite one, like everything i do at the moment is better than what i was doing one month ago, you know what i'm saying?

Movie: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) by Steven Spielberg / Freaks (1932) byy Tod Browning


Color: i'm always looking for things that are not appearing natural. Surprising things. I guess the surprising colors are the NEON ones. Totally unnatural, abusive of your eyes but magical. I LOVE THEM.

Animal: my best friend Valerie. She has a band called Squeeze Me i Squeak. She is a tiny mouse. She is my favourite.

Artist: I love anyone that can take me out of reality. Anyone.

Poet: Calvin Johnson.

President/Prime Minister/ Royal Family member: It's hard to choose a favorite politician. They are not something i could ever make up my mind about. But if there was one it'd be Segolene Royal.

Food: cheese, cheese, cheese

Phobia: loneliness, no man's land

Song of the moment: Ain't got no / I got life of Nina Simone.

Song of your own: MAKE OUT

Word: "Enormément"

Place: Olympia, Washington / Sevilla, Spain / Bordeaux, France.

Venue: I love playing in unusual places. I think my favorite was the museum of communication in Charleston, South Carolina. It was amazing to play in the middle of old HUGE videos cameras and holograms and first jukeboxes.

Number: Billions.

Musical Term: When you're on tour, you hear so many of them that sometimes it gets hilarious to think back on what you said. Every sentence pronounced in the venue at soundcheck is surrealist. Also all the vocabulary that labels use, or booking agent or who ever is involved is supernatural. My personal favorite one is "JAM SISTER!"

One hit wonder (song): Women eye, "no" by Why?

Childhood toys: wood sticks, mud, plastic boots, motor oil, ponds, my brothers, my boyfriends and a frog.

Quote: "we never know" Calvin and i on tour in our van.

No comments: