Thursday, February 7, 2008

2007 A Music Odyssey

Can you hear the digital champagne bottle cracking on the side of this post?

This is WSVA's resident robot here with my first Xzyquinty post and my top albums of 2007. Although only a small percentage of the music that graced my iPod this past year actually originated in '07, they'll all be classics soon enough.

I could have stretched the following list to the customary ten, but every other album I enjoyed this year had at least a few hiccups.

Here are the flawless releases.

Photobucket

5. Kanye West - Graduation

Kanye's done wonders for mainstream hip hop, not to mention men's fashion!

Photobucket

4. Burial - Untrue

Beautiful and haunting. An opaque soundtrack to after dark desperation.

Photobucket

3. Daft Punk - Alive 2007

This album will never leave my shelf. I get to relive one of the greatest nights of my life forever! But aside from personal nostalgia Daft Punk's incredible concert experience transfers perfectly to disc.

Photobucket

2. Stars - In Our Bedroom After The War

Nails the highs, the lows, and everything in between. It's survived multiple iPod regime changes.

Photobucket

1. Just Jack - Overtones

One of the most solid albums I've heard in years. Everyone I've played it for, no matter what genres they're particular to, loved it. On the surface it's upbeat, dancy and impeccably produced, but when you stop and regard the lyrics you'll realize that Just Jack has many an insightful word.

Buy it now!

Since I didn't satisfy you with a full ten, here are a few other categories.

Photobucket

Best Mix: Deep Train 5 mixed by The Timewriter

Not quite the soundtrack for a dream...or a nightmare, but perfectly crafted for an endless subway ride. Beautifully paced from sundown to sunup.

Close But No Cigar:

Photobucket

Cassius - 15 Again

The first half had me rocking, but the second put me to sleep.

Photobucket

Underworld - Oblivion With Bells

A great moody release with one too many unmemorable tracks.

Photobucket

Tracy Thorn - Into The Woods

It's quality, but I find myself missing Everything But The Girl even more.

Biggest Let Down:

Photobucket

Chicane - Somersault

I waited five years for...that? Thoroughly disappointing particularly in the face of the brilliant Far From The Maddening Crowds.

No comments: