Thursday, February 14, 2008

2007? More like 2000 I am in heaven! Not really it was a pretty mediocre year.

Natasha here, with her TOP TEN ALBUMS OF 2007 THATS RIGHT, but first, some thoughts....

2007 turned out to be a confusing year of music when it came to making 'best of' type lists. I think it was for these 3 reasons:

1. Digital Release! wtf?
Which year do you count Radiohead's In Rainbows? 2007 when it was released online, or 2008, the year it was released in stores in North America? MGMT's Oracular Spectacular is in the exact same prediciment. Why make a simple simple thing like a top ten list so complicated!?

2. Lazy Re-Releases!
Pippettes I am looking at you. This one isn't as common, since only The Pippettes were daring enough to re-release an album that had already been released stateside with two half assed new songs, and a new intro here and there. What gives?

3. American Release Dates!
Amy Winehouse topped most American music critics' top-albums-of-2007 lists, which at first confused me since I counted Back To Black as a 2006 album (which actually it completely is, since it was released in America in December 2006, but what evs), but I guess it is good, since it does deserve the critic's attention, since it was a good album. This might have happened on a couple more albums but I forget...

also: I would like to reiterate what Lorenna said down there: people don't listen to full albums anymore, and in turn artits are beginning to not make full albums anymore, because I have listened to some albums lately and some songs are simply just filler. Also, I am guilty of having not listened to some albums in full myself and I am sorry for that.


That being said, here are my top 10 of 2007. Some may seem missing, but that is because of the reasons stated above, and some may not be perfect albums, but yeah I went over that already.


1. The Go! Team - Proof of Youth



2. Beirut - The Flying Club Cup



3. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position



4. 1990s - Cookies


5. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha



6. Shout Out Louds - Our Ill Wills



7. Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

this one goes out to you matt j. yer welcome!


8. Jay-Z - American Gangster



9. The Cribs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever



10. Kylie Minogue - X

Ok ok, whatever, I loved that 2 Hearts song, get off kylie's back! She is amazing!


Oh!
and the award for "best song intro's of 2007" goes to The Good, The Bad And The Queen - The Good, The Bad And The Queen, like seriously, every intro was amazing. some were better then the songs they proceeded.

Oh! again,
The best song/music video of 2007 was mos def, D.A.N.C.E by Justice. Justice didn't get any love on my top ten list, because I didn't listen to the whole album, and our resident french-dance-music-devotee Steph trashed it.



Sorry, that was way long than it should've been.

No comments: